Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

Can the bank change my credit card from a MasterCard to a Visa, or from a gas card/department store card to a MasterCard?

Yes. While banks are not allowed to mail unsolicited credit cards, they can substitute one credit card for another credit card, as long as the cardholder requested or applied for and received the original credit card. Substitution is permissible as long as only one of the accounts remains active for use.

Circumstances when a bank may send a substitute card include when there is a change in the account relationship, such as a change in the bank name, the name of the card, or the features of the card.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us