Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I received an offer from an entity promising to eliminate certain debts that I owe. An OCC complaint form was included in the information they sent. I was asked to sign it but provide no additional information. Should I treat this as a legitimate offer?

No. You should contact your bank or lender if you have any questions about the debts you owe. Your lender is in the best position to work with you to correct mistakes or create an alternative payment plan.

If you need to modify your obligations or request that a lender not exercise its collection rights with respect to a debt (for example, its right to foreclose on mortgage property if you are in default), you should contact the lender directly to discuss whether mutually satisfactory arrangements can be made. You should do this without delay.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us