Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My home is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). I am thinking about obtaining a home equity loan. Will I be required to have flood insurance?

Yes. Flood insurance will be required if the home equity loan is secured by a building or mobile home located, or to be located, in an Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) in which flood insurance is available under the National Flood Insurance Act.

If you already have a mortgage loan on your home, but you do not currently have flood insurance coverage, the home equity lender may combine the amounts of both the mortgage loan and the home equity loan when determining the amount of flood insurance coverage you will be required to purchase.

Refer to 42 USC 50 "National Flood Insurance Act."

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us