Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

The bank said I need flood insurance, but I do not believe my property is in a flood area. What can I do?

If you believe that the flood map used by your bank incorrectly identified your property as being in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), you and the bank may jointly apply to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to request a review of the bank's decision.

Banks determine if flood insurance is applicable based on a review of the appropriate flood maps. Requests to FEMA for a flood hazard determination review must be postmarked no later than 45 days following the date the bank notified the borrower that the property is in an SFHA.

For information about submitting a request, call a map specialist at 1 (877) 336-2627, or mail the request to:

LOMC Clearinghouse
3601 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 500
Alexandria, VA 22304-6426
Attn.: LOMA Manager

You may also apply online at the FEMA website.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us