Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I am struggling to pay my mortgage and would like to get assistance. What should I do?

First, contact your lender or mortgage servicer and ask for assistance. You can also seek assistance or find a housing counselor through the following resources:

  • The Making Home Affordable program helps responsible homeowners obtain affordable refinancing or loan modifications to help them stay in their homes.
  • Contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at (202) 708-1112, or visit the HUD website.
  • Call (888) 995-HOPE, the Homeowner's HOPE Hotline, to reach a nonprofit, HUD-approved counselor through HOPE NOW, a cooperative effort of mortgage counselors and lenders to assist homeowners.
  • Visit NeighborWorks America's website to locate one of its network of housing counselors.

If you are suffering financial hardship because of COVID-19, visit the frequently asked questions about COVID-19.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us