Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I understand that the IRS will automatically deposit my Economic Impact Payment (EIP) in the bank account where I received my most recent Federal income tax refund. I have recently closed that bank account. What should I do?

Please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center at for information on payments sent to inactive bank accounts.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us