Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My bank has used my Economic Impact Payment (EIP) to pay outstanding overdraft fees in my checking account. Do I have any recourse to access my payment?

Contact your bank to discuss your specific situation. Banks are not required to waive valid account fees; however, the OCC is encouraging banks to take steps to meet the financial service needs of customers adversely affected by COVID-19 related issues.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us